September 11, 2009

My Favourite Sweet and Sour Dill Pickles

I grew up being one of those people who always asked for "no pickles, please!" I always thought they looked funny, and the pungent smell didn't help either.

That all changed the moment I tried one of my mom's sweet and sour pickles. These pickles opened my eyes to an entire new burger topping; to a brand new snack to eat with my tuna sandwich. Alas, the perfect crunchy pickle has been created. And you can make them at home too!


We have about 10 jars sitting in our basement just waiting to be devoured. And believe me, they will be soon enough. I have my 1 jar at school thankfully- all for meeee.

Ahem.

But like I said, they changed the way I look at wrinkly cucumbers.


I don't think they take much work to make (I mean, a pickle kinda makes itself, don't cha think?), but then again my mom is always the one to make em'!

So what do I know? I just make the blog post.

So without further ado, here is her recipe for sweet and sour pickles!

Ingredients:

Cucumber Prep:
1 gallon/4 qts. 2 or 3 in. baby cucumbers, cleaned and then cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2/3 c. pickling salt
Boiling Water

1st Brine:
1 pt. white vinegar
3 pt. water
1 1/2 Tbsp. alum
1 tsp. tumeric

2nd Brine:
1 pt. white vinegar
1 pt. water
4 c. sugar

6 or 7 mason jars, cleaned and prepared

12-14 dill florets
6-7 garlic cloves


Directions:

1. Mix prepared pickles with in a large pot with pickling salt and enough boiling water to cover them. Let stand over night.

2. Drain well and rinse.

3. Mix white vinegar, water, alum, and turmeric (1st brine) into the pot with the pickles and simmer for 20 minutes. After wards, drain well and dispose of the brine. Set aside.

4. Make second brine: Combine white sugar, vinegar, and water and allow it to come to boil (or until the sugar is completely melted.)

5. In each mason jar, place 1 dill floret and 1 garlic clove. Pack cucumbers into the jars until full and pour second brine over the cucumbers. Top jars with another dill floret, sealer lid and ring (tightly).

6. Wipe of the jars well and leave to cool, turned upside down.

I would recommend letting the cucumbers 'pickle' for a few weeks to allow the flavors to mix and mingle. Then you may mix and mingle with your pickles. Or if you are like me, hide the jar and tell no one it exists. (Except those on your blog of course.)

No comments:

Post a Comment