September 10, 2009

Inexpensive Herbs de Provence


The latest and greatest flavor that I have found myself experimenting with, is Herbs de Provence.

The savory blend is a mix of herbs from Provence invented in the 1970s. The mixture typically contains savory, fennel, basil, thyme, and lavender flowers. The proportions vary by maker, however thyme is usually the dominant flavor.

Use it on chicken or on fish, during or before cooking, and you will enjoy such a simple, yet aromatic and flavorful dish.

Now.

I don't know about you, but when I find an herb that I really like, I can't help but want to invest in my own bottle. But oh the agony one feels when they find that very spice, priced for more than is reasonable. Williams-Sonoma carries the jar you see above for $24! You can get a less-attractive cardboard box version for around $16, but who wants to keep it in that.

How un-Provence like.

So I daresay I haven't bought any myself....that is until today.

I was grazing through the many tantalizing isles at Bulk Barn, buying almonds and dates to make veggie cereal with almond milk, and was stunned (kind of) when I stumbled across Herbs de Provence in the spice isle! First, I was like: No way! Why didn't I ever think of getting that here? Then after recovering from shock I bought a little sample. (Probably equivalent to half of Williams-Sonoma's box version.)

It was 20 cents. No joke.

So I took my prize herb mix home, quite excited about my amazing deal-finding skills, put it in a glass jar, and labeled it.

And NOW the secret is out.
Take that over priced herbs!

No comments:

Post a Comment