August 20, 2009

The Hungry Student


Calling all those who have to eat Mr. Noodle instead of a balanced meal.

All those who have ever eaten frozen perogies and frozen meatballs because there was absolutely nothing else in your freezer.

All those who stock up on rice, pasta, cereal, peanut butter, soy milk (because it doesn't go bad until you open the carton), soup, and canned tuna (if you're lucky).

All those who bum off your parents whenever possible and have a fridge filled of goodness for about 4 days.

All those who have gone without because you simply forgot.

All those who have to eat at the kitchen table while studying for your finals, trying desperately not to spill your cafeteria fries all over the pages of your 150 dollar text book.

All those who bring their lunches to class and feel really proud to do so.

All those who carry change for caffeine.

And finally, all those who have run out of ideas for decent dorm food ideas, look no further!

I have these problems and more, which has inspired me to create a section of my blog that is completely dedicated to tips and recipes for you hungry students! It is called "Dorm Food Ideas," and you can find the tab on the right side of this page. Or click here.

I have lived in residence for 2 years so far and am really annoyed with the food system we have at my school. There are barely any healthy options around campus, and many things are way over priced. It's convenient, yes. But you can only have a vegi taco so many times until you need some variety.

Last year I decided to opt out of the meal plan option and go completely home cooked. Well, dorm cooked. I did it in the hopes that I would spend less money and avoid potential weight gain brought on by cafeteria food. It was a success! I avoided the cafeteria for the most part and saved over 500 dollars.

I want to bring you that same success by offering you tips, and recipes that can make the eating part of university a little bit simpler. I like to use good ingredients, so you won't often find me cooking things that come from a box. But of course there are days where that is necessary, so I will help you navigate through the world of pre-packaged food in the hopes of finding the best quality wise, and nutritionally.

There are so many ways to eat well in your dorm and really have fun with it! I hope you enjoy learning and cooking along with me (as I am still in University too)! I'm still struggling with the finances, and sometimes (not often, thank goodness) find myself eating Mr. Noodle. But I have a passion for food and nutrition that I hope will be contagious.

If you have any tips of your own, feel free to leave a comment and we can work together in making university/college dorm food a little less hectic and a little more yummy!

Find my tips and recipies here!

No comments:

Post a Comment