August 21, 2009

Barbequed Potato and Onion Parcels


Crisis has been averted; tonight could have been a boring dinner! I came this close to making regular boiled potatoes, but thankfully Leah was present to save the day. (My regular boiled potatoes apparently don't make the cut anymore.)

Well excuse me! Apparently I missed the memo when they went out of style.

Leah insisted that these potatoes were the way to go, and you know what? She was absolutely right.

I'm just jokin' a bit, I didn't really need any convincing on this one. I just wasn't creative enough at the time to think of it.

Why not make exciting, flavorful potatoes if you can?

Students, if you don't have an accessible barbecue you can still make this side dish in the oven. My oven saved my bacon this year because I made almost everything in it. And it was so nice to just pop food into it and walk away. Mmmm...lazy cooking. You can also try this out in the oven during the winter. (Anywhere but the microwave!)

We packaged sliced potatoes, onions, and chives into cute little tinfoil parcels and popped them onto the barbecue for about 20 minutes.

The parcels that were not as jammed full seemed to caramelize the best. There was more room in the tinfoil for the onions to reach direct heat and they got nice and sweet.



Ingredients:

3 large Yukon gold potatoes, sliced
1 med size vadilla onion (or a white cooking onion is fine), sliced
handful of chives, chopped
2 Tbsp. canola oil
good pinch of salt and pepper

large sheet of aluminum foil

Directions:

1. Slice potatoes and onions into 1/2 cm slices and toss in canola oil, chives, salt and pepper.

2. Put a good handful or two of the potatoes into the center of a sheet of aluminum foil and wrap up into a parcel.

3. Place on the barbecue for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment