June 15, 2009

Toast with Peanut Butter and Strawberry...Jam??

Okay, Okay so the jam part of this little breakfast/night-time snack isn't really jam at all.

I took the most important part of the jam and made that the focus. I do really like jam, don't get me wrong. But sometimes, if I have the option of eating something in its natural state, then I will.

I know! It's crazy that sometimes people like to eat things that haven't seen an oven/microwave/stove top or packaging factory.

So for instance, instead of apple martinis, try an apple. Or instead of corn flavored popcorn, try corn. The distance we are going from the food that we grow is amazing. (If your interested in learning more about eating things that are local and perhaps in their natural state, check out the 100 mile diet here).

I got some gorgeous local strawberries today, so before topping my typical bed-time snack of PB on toast with banana, I went for the strawberries instead! I then drizzled it with honey and MMMmmmm....It was so yummy. The fresh strawberries added such a light note to the snack. In fact I didn't even need a glass of milk to wash it down. That never happens with peanut butter!

Ingredients:

1 piece rye bread, toasted
2 Tbsp. peanut butter
4 local strawberries, sliced thinly
1 Tbsp. honey

Directions:

1. Toast rye bread, and spread with peanut butter. Layer the strawberry slices over the bread and drizzle with honey.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment