June 22, 2009

Fruity Sangria


Well! Is it not finally the season for fruity, and fun cocktails? I think so!

Growing up I looooved having drinks that looked grown up and fancy, but (not to worry) I enjoyed the moctail version. There is just something really special about enjoying colourful, decorated beverages, drinking out of a glass which is only used for fancy occasions, and using a pink straw, and/or umbrella. (You know the kind I'm talking about!)

Now that I'm (relatively) older, my tastes have matured along with me but I still love the feeling a fancy drink brings. If you're the same way, you will love this recipe for Fruity Sangria.
Not familiar with Sangria? Here is a quick run-through:

Sangria is a wine punch typical of Spain and Portugal. It normally consists of:
  • red wine
  • chopped or sliced fruit (often orange, lemon, apple, peach, berries, pinapple; ocasionally melon, grape, or mango)
  • a sweetner such as honey, sugar, or orange juice
  • a small amount of added brandy, triple sec, or other spirits
  • carbonated soda, in some recipies
  • and ice
This Fruity Sangria is combined with tropical and local fruit which, if given time to sit, incorporate exciting flavors into your drink.


Not into the alcoholic version? No problem! Skip the wine and replace it with white or regular grape juice, apple juice or grapefruit juice.

Ingredients:

For one glass.

In terms of amounts, you can use as much of as little of any ingredient as you would like, these are just rough guidelines.
1/2 can sparkling soda (I used Spritz UP)
2 slices lime
1/4 banana, sliced
1 slice orange
3-4 ice cubes
White wine, to fill the rest of the glass

Directions:

1. Assemble fruit in the glasses (or a large pitcher if you want to make more) and pour in your sparkling soda, ice, and finally, the wine.

2. Allow the drink to sit for a little while (I waited 30 minutes) so that the fruit can flavor your sangria. If you aren't patient like that, and I don't blame you, you can enjoy it immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment