October 19, 2009

The Decision To Go Vegetarian


How many of you picked up on the slight change in my personal blurb recently? If you did, (well done, Sir!), you would know that I am now a:

Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian!

And just incase you are wondering about the different types of vegetarians, I will break it down a bit.

There are 4 primary types of vegetarians, and no, they do not differ primarily by age/gender/hair colour/and holiday destination preference. Each type's name is indicative of what food their diet will (and technically won't) allow.

The 4 types (in order of their diet's strictness) are:

Vegan: A vegan diet does not permit any animal products whatsoever. This includes milk, eggs, fish, honey, and jello. (Yes, Jello. Did you know that the thickening
agent in Jello is made of bone marrow? It's true! Sorry if I just turned you off of it.)
Lacto Vegetarian: A lacto vegetarian diet does not permit most animal products-except milk. Animal bi-products like honey and jello are usually acceptable.
Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian: (Me!) A Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian diet does not permit eating any type of animal flesh. Eggs, milk, honey, and jello are acceptable.
Semi Vegetarian: A semi vegetarian may choose to eat a vegetarian diet that includes milk, eggs, fish, honey, and jello, or they may choose to eat vegetarian meals for the majority of their diet (and will eat meat occasionally).

The major variance between vegetarians, is their reason for going veg. The most common would be 1) Issues with Animal cruelty, 2) Diet and Health reasons, 3) Environmental reasons, and 4) Religious reasons.

I personally can attest to two of these as the main reasons for my decision: I disagree with the mistreatment of animals, and I am also keen on the various health benefits. Here are some facts you may or may not have known about meat (and a lack thereof), that convinced me to become a vegetarian:

The Mistreatment of Animals
  • Factory farming. Really, enough said if you have ever seen what factory farming is.
  • The PETA film, "Meet your Meat" gives a pretty good summary of where our meat has been before it arrives at the supermarket and eventually, your plate. Keep in mind that this video shows the worst of the worst but it is still worth watching. You may also want to have an empty stomach before viewing this one. To view the film, click here.
Health Benefits
  • Lower rates of death from ischemic heart disease
  • Lower blood cholesterol levels
  • Lower blood pressure and rates of hypertension
  • Lower rates of type 2 diabetes
  • Lower rates of prostate and colon cancer
  • Vegetarians are less likely than meat-eaters to be obese.
  • Well-planned vegetarian diets provide us with all the nutrients that we need, minus all the saturated fat, and cholesterol.
  • Vegetarians may have stronger immune systems.
  • Vegetarians and vegans live on average 6-10 years longer.
  • Studies have shown that vegetarian diets help children grow taller and have a higher IQ.
I cannot speak with as much passion and conviction as a vegan might, which is a major reason why I am am not able to follow that diet. I feel that it is important to be smart about what you are eating and to follow what you believe, but if it causes you to get sick or to lose out on vital nutrients, then you are missing the point. In my opinion, animals are important, but your health is far greater. I respect anyone who can religiously follow the vegan diet, but I will never be able to attain such dedication. I just like cheese to0 dang much!

My parents are not vegetarian, and I was raised eating meat with the understanding that it is completely normal and accepted. So it wasn't until recently that I made this decision, and to be honest, I don't know how long it will last. I want to see how my body responds and if I have a negative response, I will probably try going semi-vegetarian for the sake of my health. Everyone truly has their own experiences so I am definitely curious as to how this will pan out. I will keep you posted!

However I don't want it to seem that I am taking this decision lightly. I think that we as consumers have gotten so used to separating the animal from the food on our plate, and for me, I can't do it anymore. I have seen (thank you PETA) what happens before our meat arrives at the grocery store, and it doesn't look good. I choose to eat milk and eggs which have been produced at a farm with high standards and regulations. For example, free range eggs from chickens who actually see the light of day. There is a market near my home which supplies both eggs and milk products directly from the farmer.

I think it is important to consider your options as a consumer and to not settle for the norm just because everyone else seems to be okay with it.

If you have been intrigued by this post then stay tuned for great vegetarian recipes! My next post talks about what you can eat as a vegetarian, and how to stay healthy and happy while doing so.

Photo courtesy of http://ticklefight.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/lisa_the_vegetarian.png

No comments:

Post a Comment