October 18, 2009

Are These Eggs Still Fresh?


Here is a great trick my pal Courtney taught me to tell whether those eggs that have been sitting in your fridge for a month past the "expiry date" are still good.

I didn't have any of those! Never.

Because in the case of eggs, that date is actually a "sell by" date, and does not give an accurate indication as to when you should throw them away.

So here we go!

Take your egg in question, and place it in a tall glass/bowl of water (substantially taller than the egg itself). If the egg sinks, its still good! If the egg floats, don't open it! That will be a smelly situation. If it kinda bobbles between sinking and floating, I might not eat it, but if you want to keep it, use it soon.

Thanks Courtney, for sharing this tip with me! You have saved me (and others) many dollars that we almost threw away because of an "expiry date!"

Who reads those anyways?

Oh. Right. Everyone.

Photo courtesy of http://www.ozarkbantams.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/eggs.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment