October 4, 2009

Baby Pun'kins and Mulled Cider

I went to the market today after church and bought these baby pumpkins (affectionately dubbed pun'kins):


Kinda inspired by the adorable pun'kins I taught in Sunday school this morning:)
"Okay Max, it's Jehova and YAH-way, not Jehova and HIGH-way. Nice try though."
So in the spirit of the fall weather and all that it brings (adorable pun'kins of all varieties), I did not hesitate in making my room even more 'fall-ish.'

See?


Okay. Okay.
So it probably doesn't look 'fall-ish' at all. But I'm workin' on it! Next project is a fall leaf collage. I'm thinking that once the leaves are nice and colourful, I will find a few pretty ones (not too difficult) and then dry them out in one of my over sized textbooks. (I knew those things would come in handy one day!) Then, once the leaves have fully dried out, you can make a collage with them! On a canvas, on a poster, which ever.

And to go along with this crafty endeavor, a hot glass of mulled cider should do the trick. Here is my recipe:

Julia's Mulled Apple Cider

Hot and spicy, this mulled cider will have you craving more all season long. Bring a thermos-full to work and share it with your friends. Or package up the spice mix in small baggies to give as gifts (for any occasion) with instructions on how to make it.

Ingredients:

Amounts can change depending on how much you are making, but I would suggest making a large batch, and cooling it in the fridge for later; rather than having to make each glass separately.

1 qt apple cider
1 cinnamon stick
20 whole black peppercorns
3 cloves
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
the zest from 1/2 of a lemon, or orange or from 3/4 of a lime
5-6 thin slices of fresh lemon or orange or lime

1 crock pot/slow cooker (if available)

Directions:

1. Place cinnamon, peppercorns and cloves into a saute pan at a low heat, just until you start to smell the aromas. This bring out the essential oils in each.

2. Plug in crock pot and set to a medium heat. I like to use a crock pot because I can heat things and walk away; the stove is not so forgiving.

3. Pour apple cider, spices, and sugar into the crock pot and stir gently.

4. 5 minutes later stir in the zest. Place lid on the crock pot and allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes. 25 minutes before serving, stir in fruit slices.

5. Pick out the cloves and peppercorns or strain the HOT apple cider in a fine mesh strainer but be very careful if you choose that method.

6. Serve in mugs with the cooked fruit slices and cinnamon sticks for garnish. Would also be nice with whip cream and a caramel drizzle.

Now, excuse me while I go 'mull' over my homework. A task that has not been attempted yet this evening. It's not my fault that I'd rather be making crafts and cider than reading 200 page articles ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment