June 16, 2010

Fiesta Bowl Salad


I've never been one for salads as a entrée. Gimme a caesar salad or garden on the side of something substantial like pasta or chicken, but on it's own I won't feel like my hunger has gone anywhere.

Accept maybe back into the pantry for some munchies.

I usually pitty the girls who order, "a small caesar with chicken, please" because not only are they missing out on what could be a bowl of saucy noodles or grilled steak, they are paying 15 dollars for lettuce. Laaame.

Sorry, I digress slightly.

My point is to draw your attention to a change of heart I had recently. This salad...this crazy delicious salad which I decided to get seconds of! It was yet another recipe from Bite Me, and it clobbered my perception of entrée salads.


Sweet and salty and savory and filling. Believe me, I wouldn't be saying that if it weren't true. And this homemade dressing had me cleaning out the bowl.

The contrasting texture of tortilla chips added crunch, and an avocado, freshness.

Note to vegetarians: you could easily ditch the chicken and add chickpeas or black beans!

Ingredients:

1 head iceberg (I used romaine because it was all I had at the time)
4 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 avocado
1 roasted deli chicken breast meat shredded (I used sliced ham because I didn't have chicken)
3/4 c shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (Why is Monterey Jack capitalized?)

Salad Dressing:
1/2 c sour cream
1/2 c salsa
1/4 c mayonnaise
1/2 c canned chopped green chilies
1 lime, juiced
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder

2 c crumbled tortilla chips, for topping

Directions:

1. Place lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, chicken, and grated cheese in a large bowl. (Or put into serving bowls. I did this so that everyone got equal toppings. Optional)

2. For the dressing, in a medium bowl, whisk sour cream, salsa, mayo, chopped green chilies, lime juice, sugar, cumin, and chili powder.

3. Add dressing to salad bowl tossing well to coat. Sprinkle salad with crumbled tortilla chips.

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment