December 30, 2010

A Traditional Hungarian Dinner


Christmas celebration #4 this year was at my Uncle Andrew and Aunt Julie's place. Julie made nokedli, and she let me photograph her in front of the blazing (only a minor exaggeration) stove while she cooked for our family and friends.


Nokedli is a hungarian dumpling dish that was, this evening, served with a beef sauce or pork sauerkraut. It begins as dough:


which is "grated" using a traditional hungarian cooking tool, over a large pot of boiling water until it cooks.


Served with a delicious cucumber salad, pickles, and bread, it was a delicious meal!


When asked her favourite food, my cousin Emma proudly answered, "nokedli!" That's the Hungarian in her coming out. Here we are enjoying the festivities:


I love Christmas--Canadian or Hungarian style.

2 comments:

  1. Aw this is so cute!!! you make nokedli look just as good as it tastes!!! Makes me want more!!!! mmmm.
    Happy New Years!!!!

    <3 Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, the photos make it look so easy! I was having a workout! Great job presenting Julia.

    ReplyDelete