May 23, 2009

Kokkino Restaurant and Lounge


Have you ever become so into a television show that you actually go visit the set or pretend that you are apart of the cast?

I haven't.

Well partially. Ok, maybe I have done something like that -- but it's not as sad as it sounds!

I'll explain. Food Network's show Restaurant Makeover is often filmed close to where I live. The restaurants featured, which are gutted, re-designed, and eventually fabulous (given rave reviews by critics), are just a subway ride away!

Do you know that feeling you get when watching a really yummy dish being prepared on TV, and you wish desperately that it was being cooked for you? Well I get that all the time! And after watching a restaurant being re-done by famous designers and chefs (like Lynn Crawford- Executive Chef at the Four Seasons), drooling over the cuisine, and keeping in mind that it is technically not that far from me, I can't help but want to visit the "set."

My fabulous, cooking savvy friend Genevieve, feels the exact same way. We occasionally go out on dinner dates with the intention of trying these re-invented restaurants. Personally, I really enjoy the fact that the restaurant has so much history. It was destined for failure, and then Restaurant Makeover came in and re-vamped the place. In a way, I am like a critic who comes in to judge whether the makeover was a success or not.


Yesterday, Genevieve and I visited Kokkino Restaurant and Lounge, which was located in a fabulous Greek area of Toronto (complete with bakeries, candy shops, cooking stores-which we found ourselves in for quite a while, and local grocers). We both decided to order something that we couldn't make at home; like lamb souvlaki. It was de-licious! Very tender, and served with rice, fresh green beans sauteed with tomatoes and garlic, tatzikki sauce, and pita bread. There was also a swirl of balsamic concentrate/syrup on the side to dress the plate. How classy is that?!


Unfortunately it wasn't until our plates were 1/2 empty that we realized that this meal would have been a great topic on my blog, and that a picture of the entrees would have topped off the cake. Alas, I had not thought ahead and left my camera at home.

I took a mental picture...if that counts?

Anyway, I decided to introduce my version of restaurant critiquing to the blog world without the picture, because a meal like we had deserves some publicity.

For a virtually empty restaurant we didn't recieve the best service, but the food tasted like fancy, home made, deliciousness. However if I go back to the area, I will definitely check out the other Greek resturants down the road which were packed full of locals. (A buzzing restaurant is always a good sign).

Images are courtesy of http://www.foodtv.ca and http://www.kokkinolounge.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment